Prospective International Students

Information for International Students Interested in the Expressive Arts Therapy Program 


  • You must be admitted as a degree-seeking student to get a Visa. The expressive arts certificate only would not qualify you for a visa.

Admissions Tests

  • The GRE (Graduate Record Exam) is currently required by the Clinical Mental Health Counseling program. 
  • If you come from a country where English is not the native language, then you must take the TOEFL or IELTS in addition to the GRE. 


  • International students have to pay out-of-state tuition (our Clinical Mental Health Counseling program usually has 1-2 out-of-state tuition waivers, and if we continue to have these available, international students would be strongly considered but this is not a guarantee). 
  • You will be required to show proof that you can cover the cost of tuition and living expenses by providing a copy of your bank statement to the Office of International Education (they would request this from you via email).


  • The graduate school prefers (but does not require) evaluated transcripts. 
  • Evaluated transcripts are provided by a third party company such as the World Exchange Service (WES). WES, or similar company, looks at transcripts of international students and translates both in language and equivalency to US standards in education (Example: India's undergraduate degree is only 3 years but is equivalent to 4 years in the US). 
  • WES (or other evaluator) sends evaluated transcripts along with copies of the original to the graduate school at App State. 

Proof of Degree: 

  • Scan and email to Victoria Carlberg in the App State Graduate School office. Needs to include date of degree. Victoria Carlberg handles all international applications and can be reached at

Letters of Recommendation: 

  • Need to be in English 
  • If translated copies, send original language Version as well.